Steps to understanding the background of a UK registered vehicle including owners, service or mot history
and online enquiries
Guide for checking car history
Tried and tested methods for examining a vehicle’s past
It is reasonable to assume that one of the four methods discussed here will help find the information you need on a car you own or plan to buy.
Most queries on checking history relate to a car’s authenticity and documentation.
Use the links below to find the section relevant to your requirements:
- CarVeto check – a free and paid service offered by my sister website. You need a vehicle registration number to start a free query that discloses vehicle details including make, model, specifications, road tax status, mot status, export status and insurance status.
CarVeto platinum service offers a deeper search query including finance, theft, mileage, accident damage, number plate changes, scrapped/unscrapped status and more.
- Hpi check – this is a paid, third-party service. It is similar to CarVeto but costs considerably more. My advocacy for this car history service has diminished somewhat over the last few years, especially since founding CarVeto that offers a good deal more information for almost half of the price. But, hpi are a long-standing company whom I have dealt with for a long while.
- Car owner check – a complete guide composed by me with a focus on car ownership and previous owners. I share some revealing detail about car owners and overcome some misconceptions.
- Service history check – this thorough guide helps discern between genuine and fake service history. This type of history check helps identify possible mileage discrepancies and accident damage repair.
- MOT history – DVLA supply mot history for any UK registered car. The open source data can be extremely helpful in understanding the background of a car, mileage problems and the possibility of significant repair bills on the next MOT.
- Mobile mechanic near me – offering a review of the UK’s main mechanic near me service provided by ClickMechanic.
Checking car history before you buy
It takes a few minutes to investigate each check listed. Some are online and others on the telephone. Unless you are prepared to take a financial risk, the checks are worth your time and can be the difference between buying a genuine, reliable new car or not.
The Used Car Guy
Free check on any
My sister website, CarVeto holds all data
for any car
Theft, accidents, mileage issues, finance and more…